R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Graham Oliver
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by M7H
You seem to know how the patent system work, so maybe you know.
I haven't gone into detail about it, but in the link provided earlier to the patent application, I don't see that it is granted or not.
I do see a link to Futaba, and to my knowlegde they already use a similar system, to program there digital servo's... (also Ko-Propo?)
So if this is the case, the idea was already existing and probably published somewhere (programming through the connection cable), and I think you couldn't even call programming an ESC this way an "inventive step".
Conclusion, patent not granted, so green light for HW.....
I'm no lawyer and certainly not an expert in US law as I live in the UK, but as far as I know if it can be shown that an idea or concept was already known about or in existing use or in the public domain prior to any patent application, then it would be extremely difficult to enforce any such patent in a court of law. It's quite interesting to note that the patent in question pertains to the USA only - I have no idea what the implications of this are, but I find it very strange that if anybody comes up with what they consider to be an innovative, new and absolutely unique technique or process that they do not apply for for a worldwide patent ?

Maybe someone on this forum with more knowledge of US law could comment...