Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Carpet set-up Questions

Originally posted by Downforce
I disagree...A longer car takes steering away. With the arms sweeped back it allows the front to roll and dive creating more front bite. This is why they give an asphalt setup as the stock setup. With the arms forward(straight) it gives the car push, what you normally want on a carpet setup.
The longer the car is the more it takes away the twitchiness of the steering feel off center but will increase the over all steering. On this car it might be different(I dont have the parts yet to prove this yet) but I know for a fact that on the XXXS when we took out the front pin angle the car increased in front roll and was more responsive.....as soon as you went back to the pin angle with the same static wheel base the cars steering was more timid almost to a push. I believe that the same thing will happen here when you take the pin angle out. B/c if the car with the pin angle has more steering then why would you want that on rubber tires??? When you race on rubber tires your looking for a more stable car and one that has less steering do to the traction of the rubber tires and the ability to over heat them. With foams you have a greater amount of traction and you need the front of the car to have more so it steers all the way through the corner. When it comes down to foam tires everyone is looking for the same thing 95% of the time more steering....and if more pin angle was the case then there would be a 3.5deg block and guys like Harra and others would not say that you need the lesser amount blocks to get the car to steer better on foam tires.