R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 AM
tb214
Tech Rookie

I think this might be useful in understanding roll.

Lateral load transfer is given by..

(weight of that end of car x CG height x Lateral acceleration) / track width

how much you roll will also depend upon the total roll couple you have which includes roll center, anti roll bars, springs, shock oil etc. High roll center (less roll) is better for hi traction tracks, low roll center (more roll) for
low traction. Tuning from wheel offsets is easy and time effecient, you dont have to put into a setup system. It may change the wheel base slightly, and the toe as well( it didnt change my cars toe). During practice and race, I prefer changing trackwidth from wheel offsets rather than the suspension holders shim, because the latter will change shock position, thus possibly ride height, camber, downstop, roll center. Nevertheless, the latter is still a good tuning option XRAY has, which a lot of non-xray drivers want, the more tuning options the more possibility for fine tuning. Tuning trackwidth from suspension holders is more of a primary, permanent, long term tuning, whilst offset is more of a secondary, short term, quick and easy adjustment.
hope that helps.