R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC 1/10 Pan Car
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Still Bill
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Camber, camber, and camber is taught in Dumper's Boot Camp. It's a rough environment, but when you emerge with a bruised ego, you will be fast.

Repeating the good advice that's already here; wgt tires should really start no bigger then 54mm on carpet. If it a well seasoned track with lots of grip, you may want to consider 52. You will be shocked how much better that is then 56.

Camber is king and sets the mood of the car. Dumper tossed my camber gauge out and said one of the most important things to me: Don't room with Mario! Wait.... Dial in as much camber as the car needs without tipping over. It doesn't matter what the gauge says. If you insist on using your gauge, use it after you have been on track to dial in camber. Don't get caught up in the fact that it has to be even side to side. You will find the sweet spot between 1/3 to 3/4*. Fine tune the side wall with CA if it's still tippy.

Brian
Absolutely! For me, it was tough accepting from Dumper that less camber was the simple solution to the traction rolling issue. I went back out for another qualifier and voila...no tipping. Have passed on this "secret" over and over lately.

And thanks for reminding me that I do sometimes have different camber angles side-to-side.

For club racing on carpet, I start f/r CRC tires at 53mm. For bigger events, they start around 52mm. Fronts wear about twice as fast as rears; so, I alternate between two sets of fronts to get similar wear from front to rear. Depending on tire size, I round the edges pretty well too.

The fact that a full-sized spec tire weighs 50% more than a minimized tire should be noted too. 1S cars love losing that power robbing rotating weight. The effect on punch is dramatic.

Eager to hear more...See you at the C-Nats in a couple months.

Bill