R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????
Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
trackdesigner71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Well I'll be at the Snowbirds racing World GT, and will do the same at the IIC which we all hope can continue.

It seems to me the World GT rules work well for large carpet meetings like this - credit to Scotty for this. It's the spec tyres that make this my preferred class when travelling over to the US for these meetings. Certainly cuts down the weight and space for kit...and knowing the Sophia shell is the one to take is actually a help.

Where the rules haven't worked as well is on larger outdoor tarmac tracks. Whilst I have been to a smaller outdoor UK track where 1S and 10.5 motors are spot on, but run out of puff on larger tracks.

I also know of some racers in other classes who'd prefer to run 2S batteries (with a slower motor to accomodate). Some have been running this for a while, and recent UK meetings have included this as an option.

Bodies are an interesting topic. I respect the original vision of front-engined rear-wheel drive GT cars. We've broadened that out to a wider recommended list for the BRCA in the UK, recognising our love of mid-engined GT cars in Europe. There are lots of 200mm shells available (list available if that helps) and I've raced both a Lamborgini Gallardo + Lotus Elise/Exige. I've yet to find one that is as competitive as a Sophia indoors though!

Thanks
Mark
Have the Euros thought about having a GT2 option of 2S/17.5? I think that would work well indoors and out as its not so fast that youd see cars blowing over but it still could have enough get up and go for the larger outdoor tracks?

Here in the states you dont have a ton of really large flowing tracks like you do in say England or Germany (places like Speedworld in Roseville, CA or Jackson RC in NJ do come to mind though) so a 1S/13.5 option works well here