R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - powerlab 8?
Thread: powerlab 8?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Duster_360
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lason
Can you explain what you mean by dual type charger? Im new to this stuff so I knew I was missing something. I know the 0615 has two sets of charge leads but from what I understand you have to use both sets on one battery to get the full amperage to charge at its fastest rate, right?

I guess what Im thinking is the PL8 will charge two batteries in parallel faster than the 0615 could using its dual charge ports. Am I mistaken in thinking that?

I also realize I wont need all that power right now but I just try to look towards the future as much as I can when making bigger purchases like this. Oh and I have 2 47amp server PSU's wired up as 24v already, ready to go.
Dual charger is set up for charging two batts at once - there are two sets of output connections and effectively two sets of controls. A non dual, normal type charger is set up with single set of outputs intended to charge a single battery at a time. Parallel charging is effectively charging a single battery.

Max power is limited to 300watt per port or channel and a max charge rate of 15amps. If your power supply has high enough voltage and enough wattage, you can develop full power in either/both ports. You would not connect both sets of outputs to the same battery.

Yes, the PL8 could charge lipos faster in parallel than the new Duo3+ can as a dual charger. That's simply just the difference in charger ouput power, 300watt (per channel) versus 1344 watts and 40amps max charge rate (v2 version). The lipos do have to be high C charge rate capable and the limitations of parallel charging have to be met etc, etc.