R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The death of my RC8. And rebirth???
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
marooko
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default The death of my RC8. And rebirth???

My first 1/8th scale, first buggy, first nitro. Got it here on trade, tuned it for my area, replaced a part or two and have had a blast. As mentioned in the Associated RC8 Buggy thread, I had cleaned this over the last couple of days and added a few upgrades to it. I went yesterday and picked up some Byron's Gen2 and was ready for tuning today. I was taking this bad boy to the track, it was finally open!!

I'm up at the LHS and realize I left my battery box cover. I figured, meh, I'll be fine......right. A buddy there takes control to help tune, opens up the throttle a bit, goes over a small dip and the battery flies out. I didn't tell him the cover was off. You all know what happened next.......

Before I crashed it, it was pretty and clean.

As of about 2 hours ago...

Two holes in it?! WT......?!

Only ripped one or two out, that's all.

Another angle.

Speaking of angles, that front end looks a little twisted. (I took the shock off, no issue there.)

Decent nick in the chassis, not sure how bad it's bent.

Not sure if you can tell but, that plate is bent.

Check out the amount of stress those holes took.

Looks to be a little twisted, what do you think?

I know it has a slight curve to it, but I don't think it's usually like this. Is this obviously bent? I don't see stress marks in the chassis.

New diff. case anyone?

One more part added to the list.

So this is the path it took, Approx. 530 ft. give or take 10 or so.

The bummer for me was that I didn't even get to see, or hear it hit. I chased after it but, it was freaking w i d e open. I'm guess at least 45-50mph, 30% nitro. Lost site of it, heard it screaming.....then silence. It landed about 3-4 feet from point of impact. There was a splash of fuel on the ground and wall where it hit, and a big puddle where it lay, broken....beaten.......almost lifeless.

But she'll be back...she'll come back to life. You'll see.

So really, on a more serious note, how bad is that chassis bent? I can't tell as this is my first one, so I don't really remember how it looked.