R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
mangoman
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Granpa nah it was definitely cranking the motor. It was a few years back though and your comment about it being legal upto 2011 kind of astounds me (relative to our racing rules).

The guy when he told me about it said that some dude from another country just goes and does it to his motor and he was pretty much told everyone was doing it.

Ive never done it or seen it it donw but ive had a number of of locals who say they reckon they could crank a motor in a minor way so that its hard to spot where the windings should be tight at the comm. But even a small amount of movement would be an advantage.

As for magnet zapping. I know the difference because he had a PROPER dyno. So he had torque curves and rpms for my silver cans.

I used to hate hassling him to do them for me, because he didnt like taking the stuff to the track (i assume otherwise everyone starts walking up to you and asking you to zap and dyno their motors). But i mainly did it for 540 touring car which i was terrible at because i cant drive smooth through a corner, which also means the brushless in a mini was also a massive help for my performance.

I spoke to one of the other locals who had a dyno and used to use it for his black cans in mini. He told me a secret where he was convinced you could get more speed from zapping a motor in a particular way. He had a dyno as well and i have no reason to believe he was lieing.

Last edited by mangoman; 01-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.