R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
trackdesigner71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Our club track is having similar issues. We have racers who travel, me included, that can get the tires to work, but when is the last time you ever ran a pan car with the same tire front and rear. Seems like this was put in place by someone who runs touring cars. Started at IIC and has not changed. Yes, if the tires were a better choice (still would be spec front and rears) it would be easier to make it work, plus you would not need to be down in to the 2.10 range to start with to make them work. The fast guys will still be fast, but for the rest of us, we would have a bigger sweet spot to work in.

I really think that the 1/12 scale class is like 1/8 nitro on road. Cars have remained constant, as far as rules. There have been changes to the cars, power plants, bodies and tires ....... but the things work the same, it has also kept alot of racers involved for more than a year or two. I just wish we were back to Stock and Mod to get the car counts up. Tough running 2 or 3 motor winds and open or spec ESC's .... just decreases the number of racers.

Lastly, I would like to see some different bodies as well. More realistic to full size stuff. At speed, what is the preceived difference from a Sophia and Mazda 6????

I dont know how they came up with the lilac compound that is being used for WGT tires but maybe if somebody could work out a compound that would work on asphalt as well as carpet that may help things. a compound that has good wear characteristics right out of the package no matter the surface...maybe even have a couple compounds. Maybe not completely open tire so as to create a potential tire war but have two or three that all would work well and leave it to the racers to find what works for them.

As for the body situation...one of the things that makes VTA so popular is that though they have some degree of spec in the bodies, they are bodies that most people recognize...muscle cars that were running in the heyday of the Trans-Am series...and the fact that they arent massaged to look like doorstops actually helps slow them down which makes it a drivers class that is also a ton of fun. That goes back to a point I made in the Body Debate discussion and that is to open things up, let folks like Protofrom know what things youd like to see and let them see that there is a significant enough segment that would buy those bodies and they may give it a go.

Just my thoughts though.