R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
daleburr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M7H
1 more question.

At my track we have a speed trap.
Top speed of my car is 60kmh, with a roll out of 57mm, motor rpm then is aprox. 17500

What settings should I put in the esc.
assume a timing start rpm of 4500.
Should I let the total timing of 29 degrees be there as close as possible under the 17500, or should it be sooner?
With a timing punch of 400 rpm/degree it reaches it's full timing at:
4500 + (29x400) = 16100 rpm

If I go 1 step back, from 400 to 300 rpm/degree, max timing will be reached at 13200rpm.
This will (theoretically) give me more acceleration, or will the timing advance be to much for the engine?
Without having dyno figures from the motor, the only answer is a boring one:

Start on a conservative setting and take the temperature of the motor at the end of the race. If the temp is 10deg or more below the maximum recommended for the motor, you can try going more agressive. Use the stopwatch to decide if it was quicker or not.

As a general rule though you do want your "timing end RPM" to be lower than your maximum RPM, as the motor will continue accelerating after you hit your "timing end RPM". You don't want to waste that extra acceleration, so you should either gear down or have a steeper timing ramp so that the motor tops out just before you hit the end of the straight. On a very short track this may not be possible, but it's generally the aim.