R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snabbgas
The solution would be to buy a Speedpassion ESC! It is supposedly the highend version of Hobbywing!

I'm sorry if i thought this tread also was for development of the software and not only posts like "can someone give me a setup for 13.5t rubber TC" every third post...

Seriously though, just because something is good doesn't mean it cant be even better
I have the Much More Fleta sticker on mine which is probably even more high-end than SP!

Well, a serious point from me would be that I would personally be a bit disappointed if Hobbywing just made a Tekin-mimicking software update.

The Tekin system is easy to set up incorrectly and is very sensitive to the motor timing. You can over-time the Tekin if you are not careful. The Hobbywing is much easier to deal with.

In terms of the perceived compromise between bottom end and top end compared to a Tekin - I don't really see it on the track. I actually prefer the feel of the bottom end punch from a low-timing high-ratio motor setup than from a high-timing low-ratio setup.

I'm currently racing rubber/carpet at a club track which is 20x8m approx, and a regional series on a 30x16m track. I am losing nothing to anyone in terms of punch or speed. My driving standard is good enough to be able to feel the differences between power delivery, although I don't doubt that there are posters on this thread who can run quicker laps than me.

Originally Posted by dameetz
Nikls are you running the same FDR as you would with the Tekin? Usually my set up for Hw will be running a lower FDR than I would with my Tekin. This also somehow makes the motor runs a bit cooler. Hw has more rips out of corners so I do not loose anything and the gearing helps with the top speed. Infact My Tekin is a bit soft so I have to gear at a higher FDR so I can have the rips and Tekin really likes this as the powerband is from the mid to top while Hw powerband is from the bottom to mid. So all in all I have almost the same performance with both ESCs. Just for info I m running 11.5t stock class here in my region and for my local track which has about 130ft of straight I usually gear 7.35FDR for Tekin and 6.24 for Hw. Both are turning similar lap timing (based on average).
Very good point. The typical HW seems to need a 10-15% higher ratio than a typical Tekin setup.

Of the handful of people that I have seen trackside or on this thread who have speed issues, most of them are running a "Tekin" style gear ratio. THIS IS NOT A TEKIN SPEEDO! It is a Hobbywing speedo and should be run within it's own setting parameters.