R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Just saying thanks and goodbye
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
tc5 man
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
As mentioned, most Nitro guys are so hard up about electric and fail to remember, they are surrounded by batteries more than they think.

Batteries in the radio. O.K> I'll give you this one.

Batteries in the starter box. Still got to charge it. takes time and if your box isn't charged with you are at the track, you are dead in the water.

Batteries in the receiver box. Same as above. And, if you don't have your fail safe setup, here comes a run away.

I have seen too many nitro guys with this argument,but, their cars are the first to run off wide open into something like Hmmm. A large body of water..

Electric generally doesn't happen like that. Sure it might glitch due to signal loss or interference, but, I have never seen one simply take off wide open in 1 direction.

So, Nitro guys - (I am in that category, give the battery guys a break) It's all fun no matter what.

I like both and I agree with the fun factor of watching the nitro races. The smell, the sound - it's all good, but, I will say this.

Man it sure is cool to see an electric buggy effortlessly clear something no other car could other than a 10th scale electric 4wd.. He Hee

At my track, we had a tripple no one could clear. Not even our fastest electric guy. Well, I came along, and I am not fast driver, but, since I had a new car and new batteries, and of course a 2650kv motor, I had major stupid fast speed and wheel spinning tire busting torque..

I started doubling the jump like everyone else. Then I got the bright idea that I was not even pulling the trigger 1/3 throttle. So the next few laps, I started to try the tripple. The first time. I was trying to not overshoot the jump so I lawn Darted the jump. Oh well, Bullet proof buggy. Next lap I cleared it and from there I was passing people in the air.

The following track maint, some guys were angry and moved the jump further back. I told them they could move the jump back 5 more feet and I could still clear it. They didn't believe me. The following race, I kept clearing that and of course the Nitro guys were angry. Angry because they thought electric was unfair. Every excuse came out of the wood works.

Well, you know what happened after that.

Our electric class grew and grew.

Several of those who were nitro guys went to electric and have gone back because of he breakage of their cars (speed controllers) Several do booth and some are total converts.

On a warm day, I would rather run nitro because the engines can take the heat, on a cold day, I'd rather run electric.

speaking of which, I think I'm going to charge my packs and go to the track.

Luck for me, it's a short walk. My back yard.

Again. I say it's all fun..

i know, you say that its easyier to clear with a powerfull electric motor but with the instant torque you can overclear it easier also.

if, you have your engine tuned right and the right clutch setup there shouldnt be a problem clearing a triple really just stay in the throttle pretty much.

but, i can agree with you on running a nitro engine in the cold i can be a pain and electric can be easier that in the way.
i never had a runaway with the speckum module and a rubber band around the linkage.