R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by caltek1
G'day Bruce,

It was good to meet you at the MAsters and get driving lessons. Your car looked very good on the track and your results proved that your setup was on the money.

I will test your setup information and give you feedback on how I go.I did notice that you had a counter weight off the non motor side of the car.I will have to try adding weight to the opposite side to the motor and test. I normally run extra lead under the battery on that side of the car.

I have tried blu-tac and some other putty in a gear diff, however caused me all sorts of handling problems with the car.The car would either pull left or right and caused much heartache. I haven't tried since.

Thanks again for the tyre warmer inserts, which will be put to good use.

Regards,

Calvin.
Still think all this fuss about diffs is a little overdone. 2009 TCS Champ was using a shimmed gear diff. 2007 & 2008 champs ran TA03 diffs as did the 2010 Champ. The advantage to the TA03 diff is that you can get assemble it to go from nearly locked to fairly loose. Gear diffs are great, but really "tricky' to assemble correctly. However, are more maintenance free than a ball diff. It's just such a pain to put them together.