R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM
goBezerk
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
Hmm interesting idea with the saddle packs. In australia i believe battery fixings are open. But if i were running a race meet personally i would rule that that is not in the spirit of mini racing.
I was kind of the same, it was really just an experiment...but thought I'd post it for some feedback/ideas for other guys to play with. Good thing is no mods have to be done to the chassis, eg no cutting grinding etc

Originally Posted by cannon
For racing I would have thought that it would handle worse as the weight is put further out. THere is no weight through the centre of the chassis
Yes and no. As the original was designed for a NiCad/NiMh, I thought I'd try and replicate in a way the weight of these stick packs and also have the opportunity to add even more between the cells if deemed necassary...re the weight distribution, from my experience it would mainly depend on the track conditions, grippy tracks needs the weight further inboard and slippery tracks further outboard. They can also be run with their bases against the chassis, just requires the battery leads to be more creatively added

Certainly at Boronia it sat on the track fine, haven't tried it at TFTR yet but probably won't bother as it's obviously not going to be "legal" anyhow. No sign of traction rolling, no matter how hard you pushed it...other bonus is you didn't need any extra weight to make minimum race weight