R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TA-05 ver.2
Thread: TA-05 ver.2
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
fullout
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by novice10
I purchased a TA05VII (Lambo) for my son. I am the pit crew. I put it together, but have had constant trouble with steering, Spur gear, etc. The servo couldn't turn the wheels and I couldn't center the drive. I had to loosen screws on the K parts and also on the steering mechanism to free-up the turning action. Is this normal? Did I leave something out in the build or build it wrong?

I have read this forum through page 39 and still going. I have ordered the Kimbrough Futaba Servo, steering kit (TAM 54095), Carbon reinforced K Parts, and the universal drive shaft set of parts for the front end.

Hopefully, these parts will fix my problems

Main question: I want to buy a second car that I can run, his friends can run, and that my son can run when the Tamiya TA05 VII isn't working (which currently is five minutes of run time for five hours of pit crew work).

How reliable is the Tamiya TA05VII? Should I risk buying a second one, or should I by another brand? He wants to use the cars to race on carper this winter and on asphalt this summer. He will be racing with either stock motor or 17.5 Turn call, because he is a beginner/novice.

Any suggestions for what to purchase for the second car?

Thanks!
I found the same problem with my ta05ver 2. what i did is tighten the posts tight to the chassis then you can sand down the k stiffener a little bit where it meets the steering posts. then when tightening down the k stiffener keep checking for free play in the steering system(best to disconnect servo while doing this). tighten the screws just tight enough so that the steering mechanism falls under its own weight. In general all the parts should move so freely that they fall under there own weight, any binding in the car will wreak havoc in handling.

if your having spur gear issues, the rule of thumb is run a piece of paper in between the pinion and spur to create the proper gear mesh.

Sorry to break the news but those parts will not solve these problems, careful building will. However those parts do have there benefits. Hopefully your ordered the steel universals as the aluminium ones are better suited in the rear.

As far as reliability goes the ta05 is as good as any other really. If your sun is semi serious and wants to continue i would seriously consider a higher end kit, the ta05 has it's limitations.

Personally for durability i would recommend a tc5
if you want easier setup and good online support plus durability xray
if you want a great handling car but not as reliable (in my opinion parts wear quick and some plastics are brittle) a tamiya 416. These have been my experiences anyway.