R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tough Car Question.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 AM
blis
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WorstNameEver
Hi,

Long story short, I have a team of people who are re purposing an RC car to be used in a race. Not any race, an autonomous RC car race (Think DARPA challenge on a miniature scale).

Anyways, the mechanical team has bought a "Kyosho-Inferno-VE-4WD" (sorry no link). Good looking car for our purposes.

My background is Electrical Engineering and I'm supposed to be finding some batteries to put on this thing to make it go. Here's the important catch.
We'll be adding some considerable weight to the car, 2x 500g cameras, and probably another 600-800g of control electronics. Also, were looking to splice the electronics and cameras into this battery also. The Mechanical guys concern is that the stock battery won't be enough to lug all of that around (I agree). However what they propose is absurd IMHO.

These Mechanical Guys think they need a 29V, 4000mah power source to run this thing. I think that's a load and I'm hoping someone on here with much more expertise than I can suggest some batteries for this project. I'm open to different configurations, multi-battery setups. Anything you think I need.

tl;dr: 1/8th scale car needs batteries, we're adding ~1.5kg of stuff to it, also. What batteries do I get? Price is important, but so is weight.

Much appreciated!
LiPo = 3.7v cell
LiIon = 3.6v cell

Several flavours available and bullet connectors and you could hook up in series if you need to keep a low profile, or buy two 14.4v lumps or hookup IDX in camera's at work as well (you did mention price though) so RC shops online will have everything you're after, get some interconnects while your at it.

500g camera's?? Really, that's heavy and can only wonder how big they are, get some heavy springs too or you'll bottom out, shoulda bought a baja or 1/5th scale