R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM
GoatsnBros
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orgnoi1
+1 on the Traxxas Slash... its pretty much the do all-end all type truck on the market... and I would also go used to keep the price down...

I do a lot of buy-cheap rebuilds and there are definately some $100 slashs out there... you just have to look for them... the big issue isnt the truck... its the parts that come AFTER the truck... batteries and chargers can be fairly pricy and without them you will have ungodly charging times... one option is to monitor Craigslists for your area and watch for someone selling a package deal...

+1!

I couldnt believe the extra expenses after I realized what it would take to enjoy this hobby. I am a little bit anal about having supplies, parts, the resources to work on things etc...but for reference, I bought a slash 4x4 RTR kit, and....while waiting for my other charger and batteries to get here, there is no way that would have been much fun if thats ALL I got.. the NIMH battery was good....but the charger that took 8hrs to get 20 min of runtime was not.

With that being said - I found that if you want to buy new, tower seems to be the way to go. they might be a few (5-10 bux) higher than some other places, but if you join their club (9.99 which gets you free shipping which is 9.99...so you are even), and use their discount codes, you can bring it down a little. I paid 320 for my 4x4 shipped to my door!