R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
HarryLeach
Tech Master

Got some laps in with my Copperhead today, I'm very happy.

Traction on the track is severely lacking since it hasn't been raced on since last winter, but the car did well as a very narrow groove came in from just a couple of us turning laps. Should be a bit better tomorrow, our carpet season starts in 2 weeks, so there will be more guys helping to run-in the carpet in the coming days.

I did notice that the front flex links take a couple runs to "settle in", had to readjust my ride height and droop once, and it was good the rest of the day. 3mm ride height, 1.5mm pod droop, 1mm front droop.

I ran the 2mm standoffs, and the car had a lot of double-steer. Spent more time trying to just get the car around the track than actually pushing the limits, so I didn't try the kit standoffs. Are the taller standoffs better suited for high grip, or will the shorter standoffs create more front grip through roll?

With the current grip on the track, I tried CRC magenta fronts, and didn't ever find the need to try the purple fronts I had. Started off with pink rears, car was a bit too free, tried a blue spring, and it helped. Tried yellow rears and the car pushed real bad on-power, going back to a gold spring brought the balance back, but the yellow rears dropped grip a lot quicker as the tire prep dried out through the run than the pinks, and the edges started to tear pretty quick. None of my tires are glued on the sidewall.

I'm also running the 1.2mm cf rear flex links, and for the current low grip levels, I still need more overall grip, but I don't want to chase the grip through tires that won't be needed again once the carpet grooves up.

Any ideas? Everyone's struggling for grip right now, but Magenta/Pink is a popular combo when grip is up, with Purple fronts being the second choice.

Anything I can do suspension/setup wise to get a bit more grip out of the chassis? Or just wait it out and let the track come to me?

Another thing, when the car would snap loose from too much throttle and not enough grip, the car would snap away from the corner I was straightening out from. As in exiting a right hander, it would snap left, exiting a left turn, it would snap right. What causes that?

Right now I'm running 10k diff fluid on the front damper tube, 3k on the side tubes, if that makes any difference.