R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 25C vs. 50C with 5000 mah Lipo
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM
racer1812
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmerica
I've been out of the hobby for a while and would like to run mod (10.5) short course offroad class.

If I get at 5000 mah Lipo, will I actually see a performance difference between 25C and 50C? While both are 5000 mah, with the C have any effect on the run time?

Thanks!!
Originally Posted by crusey_aus
How many amps does your motor need ?

Battery needs to be able to suuply the needs of your motor

Cheers
It goes farther than that, yes even with a 10.5 you should notice a difference. While the 25C pack will supply enough amps to run a 10.5 safely the difference comes in the fact that higher C rated batteries have a lower IR which is a key part to them getting the higher C rating. If you have run matched NIMH packs in the past you know how important IR was. Same thing applies with lipos really. Long story short the higher the C rating (to a point) the easier it is for the motor to pull the amps that it wants resulting in a performance gain, how much is the question. I can see it easily others can't. 25C vs. 40C there is a gain. From 40C to 50C I have seen no real difference, this is with a 17.5 mainly. Running Mod., which is where a 10.5 would be, you normally have more power than you need, so even though there would be a performace gain it's tough to say weather you could use it..

I'm glad to answer any question as best I can but if you search the forums there are tons of threads on this very subject.