R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi4
Thread: Schumacher Mi4
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Uptravel is a slightly less ambiguous term. I've given up measuring droop on blocks, because every time I do, the car pulls and feels tweaked. So I just stick my ride height gauge under the centerline of the car, and push it in to raise the chassis, and then adjust the droop screws to where the tires just barely drag on the setup board. Seems to be more consistent for me.

I'm also having traction roll issues. The car has ridiculous grip and turns in so, so hard. I have to tip-toe around the track to keep it off its lid. But the car reacts very differently when you're below its cornering limits, and it makes it hard to drive consistently, and I keep nosing it into the board before the apex. I can't attack at all.

Last night, I ran more uptravel (3.5mm rear and about 3mm front) to try and make the car more consistent than last time on carpet. Last time out I was about 2.5mm rear and 1.5mm front.

I started the night with a white/white (14 lb/in) spring setup because my last race was on asphault, and I didn't get there early enough to tweak the setup before Q1. I blew my brand new litemodz CVS in the first session, doing 3 wheel drive for most of it. The car was extremely responsive in the front end, especially going into the high speed sweeper. But I decided to leave the setup alone for Q2, since I thought the hyper front end might have been from the blown CVS.

For Q2, the car was still very aggressive with a tendancy toward traction roll. For the B main, I threw on AE blue fronts (17.0 lb/in) and the Schui Blue rears (16.0). The car was even more responsive, a bit looser in the rear, and just as traction-roll-inclined, if not more due to the faster weight transfer.

My front camber links are nearly flat, and my rears are pretty inclined. The other guy at my pit table (DIALED) running JayBee's old Mi3.5 said it could be an unbalanced roll center issue.

Last time on carpet, with blue front and white rear, and less uptravel, the car was faster, but I still had trouble driving it consistently. And it was still traction-rolly.

So I guess next time out, I'm gonna go back to the blue/white spring setup, and mess with the camber links.

EDIT: I'm running -2.0 camber front and rear. I tried less last time out, and the car was definitely slower, so that's why I went back to the -2.0. Spec tires are Sweept QTS32 with Paragon. I tried barely saucing (just cleaned the tires with some sauce and wiped it and let it dry). Didn't seem to negatively impact grip. I'm running AE 50wt shock oil, but it's been a few weekends since I filled 'em. They still feel smooth, but not as stiff as when they were freshly filled, and I think one of the rears might be leaking a hair. I'll probably re-do the o-rings and put in fresh oil. I definitely like the car better with the heavier oil than I did with the 30-35wt range.

-Mike