R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2002, 12:12 AM
FoamDonuts
Tech Regular

**FoamDonuts reporting for posting SIR!!!****hehhe

Ok lets see to start, it was a huge help for me to see the pics in the newest RCCA of Josh's layout on his chassis and see what his setup was. I know have a clear picture in my mind how to layout my elecs. Still dont know what a dragon skin cutter is, but I do know that I am looking for MAXMOD AC tire truer with a dragon skin cutter on it. I prefer JACO foams for the 1/12 and the sedan. I use the Trinity TRULATHE 3 comm lathe(diamond bit of course) I have these tubes that I use to store my tires(lengths of PVC with caps on the ends that hold the "moisture" of the tire in. I wonder sometimes if I am causing my tires to get too "moist" and therefore change the makeup of the tire somewhat. As far as charge rates go I charge at 4.5 amps for all of my packs. I charge the 3000HV's at a different voltage threshold than I do the SMH's. I have found that the best performance that can be gained out of the SMH's is to get them flaming hot, then re-peak them right before a run, then race. I get fresh charge power for the first 4 minutes of the run and then they start to feel like 3000HV's. I have been doing it this way for over a year with the same sets of packs in my TC's and havent noticed a drop in performance of the packs and havent vented a single cell. Most people cringe when they grab one of my packs to go run but that is how I have found them to work the best. UM, as far as motor choice I try to stay away from EPIC-based motors and all Trinity products(dont flame me this has just been my experience) because of my poor luck with them. I think that Mike Reedy has nailed it with the Ti's they are insane and I can out horsepower everyone at my Local Track with anyone of his motors. As far as batteries SMC is the way to go, they offer the most consistent performance and plus they discharge them at 30amps which, in my opinion, makes for a better duration on the track and in the packs life in general because there is less voltage seperation between cells in a given pack. As far as gears go I use Kimbrough stuff on my off-road and TC's I have found Jay's gears to be cut more uniformly and more precisely. As you have gathered I try to find the most reliable equipment I can find and once you hit on something that you can trust you can focus on your driving instead of fixing your equipment after every run. WHEW, fingers are tired now. OK guys I did my duty. Sound off on what you prefer what you use and what you trust.
IKE
P.S.The rest of my elecs should be here tomorrow so I can run my car.