R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
chris moore
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I am always ready to learn. I am always looking for a mountain guru to sit at their feet and learn Jedi ways.

For example...

When it comes to rear traction for 1/12th in general, what 6 geometry, set up changes do you feel improve traction the most. I always seem to be looking for more rear traction at my local track and another set of eyes/opinion on the situation would be awesome. I am trying to improve my cars' (AE, SM, CRC) balance without removing steering, which may be drivable but slower...

I ask because I have seen two particular car brands excel on our track, and despite a couple years of solid week in and week out testing and trying ALL KINDS of changes, I can't seem to improve car A to meet the rear traction developed by cars B or C. (which in turn allows me to dial in more steering, which results in a faster car). The easy answer is to run car B or C at my track, but I don't want to take the easy way out, I want to learn.

Narrower rear axle width
Softer Center Spring/Oil
Larger Rear tires
Higher ride height (rear slightly lower than front)
Softer side springs
Thicker side dampening
Softer rear tires (I'm down to whites now)
Move body back
Move weight on chassis forward
Speed8 HD body
Top rear of center shock positioned closer to center pod pivot
The track I run on has an indoor off-road track 4ft away so I like you also have grip struggles. I would suggest running Grey rears with Lilac fronts, #4 shurlube with a red spring, move the front of the shock up, and shorten the rear axle width by 1 or 2mm. Try these in steps, I'm running the BMI and these changes have helped with my car. Hth