R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Bishop
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by colmo
I did pretty well in the 17.5T class yesterday with my Xerun 60A - my lap times were only about 1.5 seconds slower than better drivers running in the 10.5T class. I'm running Hobbywing's suggested 17.5 setup, but my FDR is 4.8. Motor temps are fine, and speed is fantastic (some old stagers were wondering if I actually had a 10.5!), but I'll try increasing FDR. Is there a particular 'method' to finding the right setup, with so many parameters to adjust, or is it just trial and error?
The 'method' is to realize what each setting does, then work from there, overall it's not that hard to do, each setting is basically about timing, being when, where and how much (often per rpm), figure that out and then it's about tuning your motor with the speed controller.
(And gearing is the whole other factor, tuning via gears or esc, one will effect the other, choose one way or go a balance.)

Over the past couple of weeks, I have come to realize very few people have any idea what any of the settings on these ESC's do, I'm amazed how many people seem to have either just cranked everything till it blew, or just have zero clue how they got the speeds they got.

I still think that proves HW and others need to better call functions what they really are, there was someone madly coping my notes I had on a setup sheet the other day, hungry for a better description of what each function did in real terms...

And hey, I ain't that good to begin with, so I get worried when people are wanting to copy off me.