R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
to me it makes no difference, I don't see a need to buy an 'option' that doesn't actually upgrade anything. if it was a upgrade that actually made the car work better.....well then you might have a point
Ritchie...the day I feel I need you to validate my opinion, much less appoint you the arbiter of whether I have a point or not, I'll be sure to let you know.

Originally Posted by odpurple
I don't know when any option chassis would be available from T.O.P. but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. The car was designed to accept both cells and lipo. Maybe I just don't see something, do some people not buy CRC cars because they accept cells?
Michael--the reason I don't buy CRC cars has nothing to do with the slots (or lack thereof) . Battery positioning / retention is my concern, whether it's a "big deal" or not. When the SMC 1s came out with the round cell contours on the bottom it was a no-brainer, it fit right into the slots. Unfortunately that was a single release feature. Now all our batteries are either square corners (SMC) or rounded corners (IP, etc) with flat faces. I've been half-assing braces to secure these packs fore and aft in my cars for what, a year and a half now, and have just had to go through the process again (after figuring out how to do it) on my trusty ol' 3.2R (don't ask why, but it's what I have to run this week). Does it work? Pretty much, though adjustability is a pita. And three times now playing re-engineer has pretty well exhausted what very little interest I may have had in that particular project.

If the new TOP chassis has a positive retention that secures these brick 1s packs I'll raise my hands to the heavens and shout "Hallelujah". I'm just not planning to shell out for any more chassis that have slots if that is what they intend to secure the batteries. Unfortunately battery mfr's aren't QUITE as uniform as the round cells were as far as dimensions so it's going to make the kit mfr's job that much tougher trying to create a universal battery positioning system.

At least that's how I'm seeing it. My opinion in this matter is certainly open to change