R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Hyper_Mike
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Uh-Oh

Hi guys,

I had my first race with the CH12 and new front-end last night. I was hoping to come here and rave about how good it was, but unfortunately I had some significant handling problems that I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help with! My setup was very similar to Jason's that he posted a few weeks ago:

Front:
Stock flex plates installed "stiff"
1 deg camber
6 deg castor
#5 surelube in tube
4mm ride height
0.75mm droop
Jaco Lilac cut to 42mm with inside 1/4 sauced (Niftech)

Rear:
1.2mm carbon flex plates installed "long"
#3 surlube in tubes
4mm ride height
1mm pod droop
Blue center spring w/ Losi 40Wt oil
Jaco Yelow cut to 44mm full sauce

Proline AMR body

The problem I was having was WAY too aggressive steering, especially off-throttle entering corners. I would let off slightly and turn in to the corner and back-end would snap around on me, sometimes violently. I don't think it was tweak as everything seemed to be working as it should and it behaved this way turning in both directions. I also had really excessive tire wear at the rear as I started @ 44mm and after 3 six minute qualies and 1 8 minute main I had burned through 2mm of rear tire . My guess is the current setup is somehow over-working the rear tires causing the loss of traction and accelerated wear.

I'm using a Tekin RS Pro with no drag brake and Push Control set to 30. Our track is quite tight and is not ozite type carpet but rather really short-nap office style carpet with only medium grip.

I really want to get this car working well as I really think it has great potential but at the moment I'm at a loss to figure out what to do so I would really appreciate any input from Jason and everyone else!

Cheers,
Mike