R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Clay track building / maintaining
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
8ight-racer
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
I would agree with the Calcium comment. If you check with the people who run BMX Tracks. They frequently use Soiltac to control the surfaces in the USA. Holland has a lot of BMX too and they may be aware of a brand there. Soiltac is a Liquid Copolymer that bonds the surface. I have raced BMX on these surfaces and they blue groove and grip like asphalt. I have not seen this on a RC track yet but I am suggesting it to may.
We use something similar to that Soiltac. It looks and smells like Elmer's glue and we dilute it 10-1 to 3-1 (water to glue) depending on how thick we need it. After a new layout, the track starts to groove up immediately and once it starts to groove up, there is no maintenance needed. The track definitely does not need as much maintenance than without the glue. If you Can find a supplier for glue treatment (I don't even know the name of it, a friend donated it to us) I would suggest it.

Below is a link to the track website that uses the glue treatment. You can see videos under "Gallery."

http://palmdesertrcraceway.com/

I had a few calls about this glue treatment from this post so here is some more information.

This glue works great if you have consistent problems with your track blowing out. We put in a new layout and within 3 days of being open, the track was blown out. We applied the glue and we can go a few weeks without any maintenance, or just sweeping in a few areas. Since our track consists of DG, dirt, clay, and tons of rocks, the glue was great for us. But we have not tried it on other types of dirt yet. If you have clay or good dirt, there is no need for this.

The contractor buys it locally, and you need to have a contractors license to purchase it. They sell it in 250 gallon tote's, which is about 3,000 pounds of the glue. We use 50 gallons of glue (900 gallons glue/water mixture) for each build. Costs end up being ~$125 each time we glue it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-08-04 12.59.57.jpg
Views:	6316
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	644766  

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 09-20-2010 at 10:10 PM.