R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
wingracer
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
Let the battery thing (1S, 2S, 4cell) aside just from the point of handling, what do you think is the better car t-bar car or link-car and why?
First, see my post above where I touch on the subject.

In my opinion, T bar is actually an excellent suspension system for a pan car and yields excellent handling characteristics, especially in sweeping corners. The problem with it is battery location. It forces the batteries (the densest mass in the car) to be placed more outside of the cg location. This results in a higher moment of inertia. A link car with its central location has a lower moment of inertia.

What does this mean on the track? Here are my observations from when I switched from my AMAZING 12L4 to a CRC Gen X:

The 12L4 was always amazing in sweepers. It was very stable on entry to such corners, allowing me to really keep a tight line without having to worry about smacking the inside wall and destroying the car. Its one trouble spot was this one really fast but tight chicane. It would be fine on the quick flip to the right to enter the chicane but the immediate yank of the wheel to the left was sluggish, causing my to miss the apex and forcing me to lift just a bit for the right hand exit. Most of my link car competitors seemed to be taking it flat, tight and were gaining a tenth on me there.

When I took the Gen X there for the first time, it was about the same everywhere on the track except for that chicane. Now I was taking it flat and tight too and my best lap times were a tenth quicker because of it. It was just much quicker to transition.

The only problem was that it was a bit more aggressive entering that sweeper which was making my lap times more inconsistent. It took me a couple of weeks of experimentation to fine tune the set-up and become accustomed to driving it to get the consistency back.