R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
stiltskin
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toby333
Hello Tony. Regarding your fan setup pictured in the last page or two, do you get a better cooling effect just by glueing the fan to the chassis blowing on the motor as opposed to using a fan attached to a motor heatsink?
And on the topic of diff grease/oil, what viscosity grading system are you using? I've got a couple of u-pro gear diff's now, just running the rear straight out of the packet and I know I have to change the oil in the front for a stiffer action. 120K(?) i see is the go..
Cheers.
Gear diffs. I have Xray 10k CST in the rear and Ofna 120k in the front right now. I may go back to the 100k in the front for comparison testing, but they both seem to work pretty well. 80k was too soft for the front. 10k gave better steering in the rear.

Fans. I don't like the concept of heatsink fans. I realize that it's an easy way to mount a fan to any motor, but I think that the extra heatsink just traps the heat in the motor and doesn't allow it to dissipate like it should. Besides being bulky and ugly to look at, most heatsinks that I've seen run the fins in the wrong direction. To be effective the fins should run length wise along the chassis, not parallel to the motor (on a belt drive car). As the heat tries to escape the fins, the longitudinal design would allow airflow to "clean" the hot air off of the heatsink. I hope that makes sense. I haven't run a heatsink fan to compare temps, mainly because they look terrible. (I'm vain). With the BOSS fan glued to the chassis, like I have it, the motor runs 30-40 degrees cooler. Last night I hardwired a BOSS fan to the ESC instead of plugging it into the receiver and it puts out some major airflow. With the car on the table, I could feel the breeze coming from the fan. Good luck with your choices. Best of luck on the track.