R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Help me choose a new nitro engine!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Zerodefect
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
These are only my opinions on what I've seen

IMO no engine is going to make it longer than 2-3 gallons if its raced competitively without some sort of maintenence... rod, bearing, etc. I know everyone will post their 25 gallon v-spec stories... but the reality is the engine will start to loose its thump with either a leaking sleeve or timing changes due to the rod loosening up. Once the tune signifigantly changes from a long time reliable base tune, the engine is communicating with you.
Man! Something is up with your track or there is an altitude or fuel problem. Pushing 'em too hard maybe. Dusty track conditions??? Upside down reving??

Even when I screw up I get more than 3g's.

Stick to RB, NR, OS. Change the OS rod and bearings alot. But a well tuned RB WS9 or NR FMS should have a ton of bottom. with 1.0 springs.

Thats interesting. I don't see too many with luck as bad as yours. But I will say: Alot of the new fly by night ching chong motor companies sell motors that grenade quickly. I stick to NR, OS, and Saito for nitro engines. Against the engine pro's advice, I use OS p3 and p5 plugs in all of them.

Hopefully RR's new engine co. turns out a durable product like the old RB.

Deosn't matter though, 4 strokes are coming, eventually........