View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 12:59 AM
tones
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default shev-

Originally posted by Shev
Hi Tones,

Currently I'm racing at Bundaberg, which is a long fast track, but I've also been travelling to Logan a couple of times and racing at Slacks Creek. I'm running a monster stock (currently trying out the epic binary) with about a 32.44 rollout. Purple springs on the front, silver on the back with a swaybar. 50 weight oil front and rear. My ride height is 4.5 mm front and 5mm rear. and you were right about the foams. 40 frong and 35 rear seem to be working well for me at the moment. I'm not running a front oneway but I'm super keen to get one. Hopefully you can help me out a bit with this information. Thankyou.
in stock the monster seems to be the hot ticket aslong as you dont have a dud one - i've seen a few that have been VERY poorly wound (big bunny ears poking out of the stacks) and no balancing.. which obviously end up being slow on the track.

with the foams on asphalt, i feel the best way to go is to try to run the hardest compounds you can get away with - but you dont want to take this too far or you'll end up losing traction.

at logan i've been running 42's on the front and 40's on the rear. some are also running 42's all round with good success.

i think the softer tyres can make it alot easier to scrub off too much corner speed, and rob you of a little straight line speed also.

another thing to think about in stock is that on long fast tracks like logan, is that i've found the losi alfa to be a bit slower (by a couple of tenths) than a body with much less agressive aero (like a stratus) despite it feeling more planted in the corners, simply becuase the car isn't having to pull along that parachute of a rear wing

if you want to try some things out, here's the setup that has worked very well for me in the past with a diff:

front end- 50wt, 56 piston, purple spring, #2 shock location, camber link #3 to a chrome ball stud with no washers, 2mm of droop (losi gauge), HRC blocks with 0F in HRC and 4deg castor blocks, front arm .030" forward from middle w/ ackerman position back, no bump steer spacing, 0 deg of toe, -1.5deg camber (adjust to coning of tyres) and 4.5mm ride height.

rear end- 50wt, 56 piston, purple spring, #2-inside with the shock, cabler link a-1 with black ballstud no shims, 4mm of droop (losi gauge), HRC blocks with 0R in HRC, arms middle, stock 2deg rear toe with standard (not off-set) rear end, same deal with camber as front and 4.5mm ride height.

42 Front tyres (specific front compound) and 40 rears - both 26mm wide, standard 42/42 drive and batts forward.

the car was working very well with that... think i got everyhting

Last edited by tones; 03-15-2004 at 02:17 AM.