R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray 808, Losi 8ight 2.0, or Mugen MBX6?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 AM
WhiteFoxAz
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
These are the best three cars out there.

The Xray is the best and lightest of the three. It's a Mugen with a Losi type front suspension, cutting edge tech light weight drivetrain, and some super high quality parts.

As long as your stick to the stock diffs and gears the pinion bearings seem to hold up ok and require about the same maintenance as any other car. Pull them and regrease/replace every 2-3 race days. If you want to try 41t gears or the active diff, then those pinions need to examined after every race until you get your shimming perfect. The optional 41t overdrive gear really puts alot of strain on the front of the car and meshes poorly reguardless of proper shimming.

The Xray needs some tuning if you want super aggressive steering. Usually shock pistons, stiffer rear springs, and thinner diff fluids. The out of box setup is stable, boring, and European feeling.

The Mugen is the safest bet. It's front end can do some goofy things but if you replace the pin clips with plastic shim washers some of that goes away.

The Losi is just as fast, but the metal and plastic wear quicker, lame aluminum shock towers (should be CF at its price range), eats servos still, not enough wheel base adjustment. Same awesome shocks the others have.
Thank you for the detailed answer/response!! I have been running Losi but as you said...plastic is a little soft and I have been wanting to try a car/truck with some better build quality and a little tighter.

I drove a Mugen and it turns much better than my Losi I just hear complaints/concerns about the pillow ball front end. What problems are you guy's running in to??

I am still new to 1/8 and have not had a chance to see an X-Ray up close but everything I have heard has been fairly positive! Thanks!