R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Been looking for something with a little better feel down low than the Tekin, and decided to give the SP 2.1 a try. It definitely delivered, the way the motor rips out of the turns is phenomenal! The only thing it seems to lack is that rip on the straight that you get with a Tekin. It definitely seems to boost on the straight, just not quite as hard. Any suggestions? I'm running a SPv3 17.5 with an FDR of about 6.4. Settings are as follows:

4/8
9/8
12/7
13/2
14/3
15/2

If I tried to gear up much more, it would get slower and hotter. Timing on the motor is maxed.

Track has about a 95' straight. You can see it here. Layout is different now, but that gives you the gist of it.
Syndrome....here is the settings I just ran on a carpet track about the same size of the one in the video. My FDR with a 17.5 V3 motor on 10deg motor timing was 7.71 and my motor temp after 6 minutes was 160deg. It was just as fast as anything else there. We have noticed the same thing gearing up doesnt make it any faster just brings in more heat. For what we have seen gearing down helps more.

1--1
2--5
3--4
4--9
5--3
6--3
7--2
8--1
9--8
10-2
11-X
12-9
13-1
14-1
15-5

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'll give that a try. I'm curious, how does lowering the boost start RPM give you room to gear up, and possibly help with top speed? Wouldn't that make the ESC bog down as it tries to add timing sooner?
What you are saying is what we noticed right away. We had to lower the boost start RPM and then gear down to make more power. When we geared up with a lower start RPM the car would almost "two-speed" on the straight....there was a big delay until it kicked into the boost. Gearing down helped this right away and the car had more power across the board. This is what a hand full of us in my area have found while testing with the ESC and software.