R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Whats the difference?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dozey83
in answer to the question asked, I think that the people that push people who are interested to get into our sport to buy the latest and greatest car and engine are plain WRONG!

The best advice i can give someone who is looking at getting into nitro RC is to buy a DECENT RTR, like the ofna hyper 7/8 RTR cars, these come with .21 race legal engines. To me the most important thing when someone is starting out is NOT having the best car and engine that cost 1000s but having a car that will not break when you crash hard like everyone does when they are new, that is easy to work on, and is cheap and easy to replace parts if and when they do break it.

The hyper 7/8 cars are great for this as they are bomb proof, the engines they come with have plenty of power for a new user and are easy to run in. save the money as the latest and greatest car will not make you drive any better, practise will! if you have spent all your money on the car and engine then you have no money left to buy the tyres that suit your local track and to spend on track time to get better steadily.

Yes you do get guys that are of the opinion that unless you are driving the latest hyper 9 or MP9 or 8ight 2.0 or mugen etc you are not worth the time of day, and are a laughing stock, are just snobs and are infact themselves not worth the time of day! fact is that we were all there once and give people time to improve! You will find that most companies do an entry level version of their full bore race buggies, these are if anything overkill for most 1st timers, but that also means that as you improve the car is capable or taking it so you are not kit limited straight away!

Anyway, apologies for the rant, as you can tell, this kind of thing bugs me and i only hope that my words are of some help to someone!
Ok, let's compare:

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR $699.99
Starter box INCLUDED
Good radio INCLUDED
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $819.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)

Hyper 8.5 RTR (the only hyper I could find) $359.99
Starter box (approximately- varies) $80
Good radio (approximately- varies) $250+
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $809.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)

So... you save $10 by going with the Hyper.