R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USGT
Thread: USGT
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
John.C
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm a beginner and I'm fascinated by the argument that beginners cannot be competitive with the fast racers until the ESCs are spec'd. There is a notion that the playing field must be leveled for beginners and the best way to achieve this is by spec’ing the ESC. Another concern that I often see is with regards to the financial impact to the new comer of having to purchase the most expensive ESC to be competitive.

So, am I correct to assume that the following areas will have absolutely no impact to overall success of a beginner?

Build - A seasoned racer who applies the tips and tricks learned over the year to build and optimize their car will have the same end product as beginner who applied their limited knowledge to build and optimize their car.

Pre-race preparations - A seasoned racer who spent time to prepare their car (clean and lube bearings, rebuild differential, rebuild shocks, etc) will have the same end product on race day as a beginnner who might not have put in this level of effort.

Race day tuning - A seasoned racer who has applied their tuning knowledge and experience acquired over the years of racing will have the same end product as a beginner who has applied their limited tuning knowledge and experience.

Post race assessment - A seasoned and beginner racer will both have the same take away after a race that will be used to their advantage at the next race event.

Spec’ing an ESC will not level the playing field for beginners. We (beginners) will begin to close the gap when we start to master the various aspects mentioned above. This is the only way to rid ourselves of the beginner label. It is not by forcing the race director to spec the ESC, motor, or whatever you may feel is inadequate about your gear.

-John