R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Keep the timing on the motor at factory setting but adjust the timing on your MMP. Again don't use MOD motor below 6.5T or it will be undrivable unless your really in a huge flowing 1/8th scale track when slowing down is not really necessary.
Sorry, but I disagree massively with this statement...
We've (well not me personally, but the HHUK team) have been running the MMP happily with a 3.5t, and it certainly isnt undriveable... yes, it can be a little lary on power, but it is open modified afterall, you can't just expect to pick it up and drive it like a stock

Looking at the setting you've suggested, I would personally ditch the punch control, at the very least don't run it high, as it simply robs feeling, and doesnt allow you the motor to work properly at lower revs. Hate to say it, but if you need to kurb the wheelspin, use less throttle thumb...

Also, the rev ramp kicking in at 12,000 rpm will do no favours... thats too low in the rev range for a modified, you need to let the motor get you out the turn before having the speedo bring in the timing.. To support this, we're also running our 10.5's with a rev range 15,200-31,000, and 45° of timing, and they sing down the straight, but are smooth off the turn.

As for the other settings used, looking on the file in front of me;
Timing; 16deg
RPM; 25000-31,6000
Start power; Medium
Dead Band; smallest (0.0250ms)
Punch Control; 0%
Brake amount; 100%
Drag brake; 0%
FDR; 7.6
Motor; SP v2 3.5t, middle timing (B under centre tab)

The track we were on is also one of the toughest on motors and brakes, as it's reasonable speed, but with three hard braking and acceleration zones... if the speedo works round there, it generally works well everywhere else! Compared to the nosram in one A.Hara's car this weekend, that above setup had more poney down the straight...

Regards
Ed