R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What generator do you use at the races?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Stubbs
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Oh that Kipor. I work in the RV world and I've sold 'em all. Want to lose your mind on repairs, mostly voltage reg.,Kipor will send you over the dark side. When you buy any gen set make sure it's a name you've heard of. And the little things matter. Like when your done with it, turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas. The ethanol in pump fuel will gag out the carb in no time. Change the oil often. Air cooled motors use oil for cooling also so it breakes down fast. Most only use one qt. so no big deal. I see alot of people mount it on the jack in front, if so get a cover for it. There a nice one at Northern Tools that works on most. Realy the best I've seen is a Coleman Micro Lite. Very quite and runs very little fuel, has all the power you'll ever need. But they are pricey. How ever when you sell/trade in it jacks the price up real well. Gen sets are like servos, you get what you pay for, plain and simple.
I'll have to agree with you on that....I didn't have the most pleasant experience when I first brought this issue to their attention. Basically, I was told that I was "using the generator in a manner for which it was not intended". To that I replied; " what, you never expect someone in an RV to dry their hair???" It took a while, but they finally started to see that this was more than just an isolated incident, and that they would likely see others having this issue.

I've been told that when the proposed fix is completed, they want to send me the updated controller to install in my unit, and see if it solves the problem. Only time will tell if they're committed enough to actually solve the problem, and follow through with this, but I'm happy with it so far.

As far as fuel goes, I only use 100LL aviation fuel in all of my small engines, with the addition of TCP to address lead deposits. Aviation fuel requires no stabilizer, and is rated for strorage in plastic container for 2+ years. This is the same fuel that we run our equipment with on the assembly lines, since those engines may not be started again for some time. When it evaporates, it leaves no residue behind to gum up the carb. My local regional airport sells it to the gereral public...they even have a credit card reader at the pump.