R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Chris K
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TM America
I noticed that ROAR has been setting up rules for the 1/8th Super GT Class. Unfortunately they were only going to have rubber tires allowed for this class. However I have given a written explanation about the benefits of foam tires.

First, foam tires do make the cars drive more easily and I think that is good especially for the new driver/racer. For experience drivers foam tires do increase speed (lap times) and handling.

Second, foam tires do have the same or even better in some cases tire wear life. GQ tires as an example are excellent tires with superb wear, no chunking and a stout rim for those unlucky enough to have a board jump out in front of their car from to time.

Third, I feel that when you can make a new class more fun, faster, and economical, then foam tires have to be an option for racers.

Lastly, I stated I did not think that foam should be the only option as I felt rubber tires should not be the only option. In electric on road they have a rubber class and a foam. This may be an excellent opportunity for ROAR to do the same with this new class.

I will state here that I am the exclusive distributor for GQ tires and products for the USA. I just acquired the direct and exclusive distributorship with GQ a couple of weeks ago. I sold GQ previously on a sub-distributorship for/with another company. This time around my company has no middle person. Because of this our pricing will be lower than the past. Always good news! We have the 1/10th Touring on-road tires coming in next week and 1/8th and the Rally tires for the GT's will be here around 45 days from now.

Have fun and good racing to all!
Well, I tried to keep my mouth shut....

AND, I'm not the 'expected' tantrum......

AND, what I can say is short and sweet......

In the MIDWEST, where I live and race, the 1/10th scale sedan class is all but DEAD!!!!!

AND, why is that?????

Fragmentation??? Two classes which require totally different set ups and in some cases - different CARS????

Expense - it's great to say on day 1 that 'we're not going to grind down the foam to the 'sweet spot' but that philosophy has never lasted until day 2 from what I've observed... First someone will 'even out' the tires.... next they'll add a bit of 'cone' to help wear... then they'll cut a bit 'too much' off and the bottom line is that by the 'end of the week' this class will join sedans and 1/8th GTP as the most expensive (and lowest populated) classes in R/C.

Sorry guys, I appreciate WHAT you're trying to market here and certainly am a huge fan of CAPITALISM, free enterprise and all that BUT I can't/won't believe that foam tires (and several other things which have been discussed here) will do anything but KILL the IGT class before it even develops to it's maximum potential!!!!!

My OPINION - based on personal observation!

Flame on!!!!!!!!!!