R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hudy engine break-in stand alternatives?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Jed the Geezer
Tech Apprentice

Certainly not the most exciting video I've ever done ... Obviously there are lots of ways to do this ... this is just mine ... main thing is to preheat it and keep it up between 180 and 200 degrees during each tank ... nice and easy idle to seat the bearings and keep it good and rich ... I will usually run between 8 and 12 tanks on the bench depending on time (if it's needed in a truck or I have another one waiting to break in) ... in this case I have another engine to break in before Alabama (can't wait) so the 8 tanks will do the O.S. ... whole vid is just under 3 minutes ... I read from someone on here (I think) commenting that they wanted to get a bench so they could work on other things while the engine ran but you will see the way I do it I could only walk away for the first 10 minutes ... I am always standing over the engine while it's running

Comments are welcome ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9mXj11q_go

edit** I should also add that the bench still only serves as the initial breakin on the engine ... it still continues to be run easy for a tank or two (no long WOT runs) after going in a truck unless the sleeve has been fitted (thank you Clockwork Racing) ... but within a few tanks I'm tweaking the needles and getting it race ready and until I find a full engine sponsor I will always lean on the side of rich (pardon the play on words)