R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM
FREAKAH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vlast3k
Hi guys,

I spent about a week reading this thread, while i was awaiting my TB-03R to arrive There are some great tip and interesting post there.. it was amazing and i learned quite some stuff. Now my chassis has finally arrived and yesterday i started assembling it. I have a few questions regarding drivetrain looseness and lubrication though and would appreciate if somebody could give some advice. So here they come

1. Re-lubrication of bearings - It seems as if the stock bearings do not rotate very loose, and according to Andrew Kuntze's article at tamiyausa.com, i should remove their stock lube, and apply some light bearing oil. In fact when i try to rotate the differential w/o any other attached gears, just sitting on the two bearings - there is some resistance i can feel

2. Lube for differential gears - according the manual i should put from the black grease, but according other articles - should put AW grease... which is the correct one - and how much should i put

3. Lube for universals - again according to Andrew's article it is not good to put the AW grease on the universals - but should i not put any grease there at all? And does this apply both to the wheel axle and the joint with the differential?

Thanks in advance for any help provided
1. Spray out the grease in the bearings and re-lube with light bearing oil. Soaking them overnight in a glass bottle full of solvent works too. Just remember to re-lube.

2. I would use the black grease. Do not use the AW grease as it is too tacky and would create too much drag. Heavy-duty spray silicone works good too as well as just plain silicone diff grease.

3. It IS good to use AW grease on the universals. Just a light coat will be good. No grease at all is a no-no. The universals will gall, bind and wear without any lubricant. Sure, lube will attract dust but anything is better than dry metal to metal contact.