R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Full Droop without Down Stop Screws Set-up(?)
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
wriffwraff
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i had a cen matrix truggy and there was no need for the droop screw, it worked way better with them out or flush with the arms.
Interesting note jmax. Truth be known, in the past, I too have run without the droop screws. Do you think it's b/c the shock lengths are equal to or more than the max down travel on the Cen truggy?

In my initial posting, I was actually concerned with the up travel or max compression of the front shock as it relates to shock shaft bends. It's not an issue on the rear b/c the shock doesn't fully compress b/c it's in the upper shock tower hole. It can't fully compress in that position. The chassis hits prior to full compression in the rear.

However, the front shock up travel is a bit different b/c I have them in the lower hole to increase front ride height and to increase or force more down travel in the front. My hope there is to increase on power steering. Nonetheless, when I fully compress the front end, it feels as if the shocks themselves are "slightly" stopping the front, prior to the chassis hitting the ground. So, that's my concern... I'm concerned that the up travel there might bend or stress the front shock shafts b/c the shocks are absorbing the brunt of the impact or compression prior to the chassis slap. Hey, but then again, maybe that's the way it's suppose to work. I mean, in the end, it appears that the chassis stops full compression or up travel. If I get a chance I'll post back a YouTube video to show what I'm talking about.

Plus, I'm like Meredith, I hate droop screws b/c they bite into my $100.00 BCE chassis. We'll see though... I'm in the minority here with my thoughts and experience on running without them. I'll test and see if I can continue to get away with it on my next track run. Again, from what I can tell, it's the full compression of the up travel of the front shocks that might pose an issue. The down travel seems fine, as I really don't see how the down travel of the arm could rip the shock out of the mount... I say that b/c the shocks are longer than the down travel reach on my rig

Looper: The Cen uses 5 mm droop screws, so aftermarket's won't work.

PS: Also, what are the droop screws truely for? Do they adjust the arm levels or do they keep the shocks from breaking or do they serve both?

Last edited by wriffwraff; 04-26-2010 at 12:49 PM.