R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Any luck with after market clutches?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Stirex
Tech Regular

I have used the Answer-RC shoes, Stock RC8 Alum, Dynamite Hard and now the Ascendancy Racing Clutch system on my RC8B / T. Here are my observations:

1. Answer-RC: Great shoes, last forever and don't seem to leave alot of left over alum inside the bell. Also they are designed so you dont have to use the tefon shim or the washers. Another bonus, they come with all 3 sizes of springs (.9, 1.0, 1.1) (Currently run these on my RC8T with Reedy and Werks B5)

2. Ascendancy Racing Clutch: So far the wear has been very good, the engagement smooth, and also come with all 3 sets of springs. Verdict is still out as I am having a little bit of some clearance issues on the RC8B, but none on the T. (Motor sits alot closer to the center diff on the B, there is a post about it on there thread by me) (Run on my RC8B with Nova Plus 4C, a bit smoother feeling to me then the 3 shoe)

3. Stock AE Alum: Engagement was good until they started to wear a little, then I would get slippage in long mains. Wear was about average, but nothing to write home about. And you have to use either the teflon shim, or the washers to elevate the shoes off the flywheel

4. Dynamite: Same mounting as the AE ones, last a long time, but was having slippage and inconsistent engagement.

These are my observations and personal feel and opinions based on what I have run. Everyone feels or percieves the performance of a clutch differently. I know there have been many that have had great luck with the AE and Dynamite ones, but they just aren't for me.