R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Pablo Diablo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxg123456
I would have to agree with you Pablo. Even in 10.5, I cannot get the car smooth on the infield with a lot of timing in cheat mode, as the esc has a lump when the timing starts initially at low throttle. To prove the point, when I rev the car gently upto speed I can hear the jump in revs at low speed, which is in turn pushing the car wide, even at 30% throttle.

I've been experimenting for a while, trying to get the car fast down the straight on an indoor track, but have the infield drivability, and I just haven't found it still. No disrespect to Castle Creations though, as i'm sure they'll have a better firmware update in future. I'm also hoping the high speed brakes are more responsive in the future, as theres a definate lag in the brakes.

I've been used to an LRP SPX which was so smooth on the infield, with its gentle timing increase through the revrange. I have tried to cure the problem by trying unusually long rev ranges with the Mamba, but its still harsh. I can get the esc to run smoother, but at the expense of turning the timing right down. The pity is, the thing is an absolute monster in power, but I just cannot use it.

My next experiment will be running at a much Lower FDR, as it will give the car a much wider powerband. I'm using a Novak 10.5ss (full motor timing also) at 8.50 and i'm sure the added fact that the sharp power band is not helping the response at low speed. I'm basically running the car 2 feet wider everywhere, which is dropping me from Mid A finals to Mid Bs, even with the banzai straightline speed. (half a second lost a lap approx.) I've also spotted that advancing the motor from neutral to full caused the timing surge from the esc to be grossly exaggerated, so i've put the motor back to stock timing. Hopefully, I can retain the straightline speed and regain driveability in the infield.
Originally Posted by whoopass
maxg i think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments on the mmp. its a bit of an animal and castle need to work a little on the driveability as they seem to have great power and punch. not raced mine in 13.5 at my local track aldershot yet so cannot really compare laptimes with GM120's which seem the ESC of choice in the UK at the moment. as the Tekin RS is out of stock everywhere and nearly double the price of the MMP!
Its not just the MMP having these problems. The most popular spec ESC is also sacrificing some driveability to get the power it has.