R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - glow plug
Thread: glow plug
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
bschanz
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
If you're blowing coils on your glow plugs, you are indeed running too lean. You should always tune by engine performance first, and temp second, which it sounds like you're trying to do. In this case, it seems like you needed to richen up the mix a bit. Without more details, it would be hard to tell if it's the low end or top end.

In a pinch, the "spit test" works well. Take a small drop of spit, and put it on your head. If it boils off immediately, your're too hot, if it just sits there and never really evaporates, then you're too cool. You want to to evaporate off in 2-3 seconds. Like I said, it's not an exact method, but it will give a general idea of how hot your motor is...
what other details would you need? i am very green when it comes to nitro cars but i can try to answer any questions you have to help me.

the engine was originally a pull start. i got rid of that and put a backplate on it and use a bumpstarter now. I also got rid of the stock pipe and picked up the OFNA 063 but after a couple runs realized it was leaking air. i have changed the rubber gasket on the engine to the header and the header to the pipe with a bit bigger one to seal it better. i ran it for a short period, on the box, not on the ground and saw there was a little fuel leaking at the plug. i tightened the plug down (left it too loose by mistake because i am scared to over tighten it. ) started the car and ran it in an oval race for about 3 minutes and it shut down.. I did get tangled up a couple times and rolled the car pretty hard. the car seems to bog just a touch when punching the throttle at lower speeds. once it runs out 10 ft or so it pulls real hard.

with the carb on this engine, i know the HSN screw but do not know what the other two screws are.. well, not true. the screw by the throttle linkage is to set the idle adjustment i am pretty sure. correct me if i am wrong and offer some more assistance if this helps.

ben