R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Solaris Tires
Thread: Solaris Tires
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM
E.J. Evans
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
I bought a set of 'S' compound premounts on TOP wheels last Saturday for a carpet race based on reviews I'd seen on this thread.

Unfortunately, my experience wasn't a good one. I started off by cleaning the tires with DA, and ran some practice laps to scrub them in. I didn't run a lot on them [currently only have one battery], but they felt good, so I repeaked by battery, tried them out with some Paragon for a few more laps, then cleaned them with DA and treated with Paragon for the first qualifier.

A buddy of mine followed the same prep and we were in the same qualifier. Off the tone, the car was very fast, but this only lasted 6-7 laps. For the 10-12 laps after that, it was a big struggle with oversteer [losing lots of time], then, strangely, the handling balance started to return and the lap times started to come back, but nothing as fast as the first 6-7 laps. My buddy and I [running different chassis and different driving styles], commented on the SAME laps when rear grip went away, and again when grip seemed to return.

For the second qualifier, I thought maybe the Paragon wasn't agreeing with the tires, so I only cleaned with DA and put the car on the track. The car started off with a slight bit of oversteer, but felt alright, early in the run. Toward the middle of the run, the car alternated between super loose and barely making a corner depending on the lap, and then settled down again the last 2 minutes or so. My buddy switched to some Sorex tires and laid down a relatively solid run.

For the third qualifier I bolted on some used CS22's just to get a consistent qualifier in, which I also raced in the main.

I bought a set of mediums as well, but with the inconsistent handling the softs gave, they stayed in the package all day.

I'll give these tires a try on the outdoor asphalt track, and may give the mediums a run on the carpet just for testing, but so far, I'm not very satisfied.
Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the tire. Sorex are definitely faster then our tires. Our tires are meant to be a spec tire formulated for overall good grip, longevity, and low cost. I'm not surprised to hear lap times are not as fast as Sorex. I am however baffled about the inconsistency. Where do you race? How is the traction on the carpet?

You can also always email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

EJ Evans