R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tuning consistency questions
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
MattFL
Tech Adept

Default Tuning consistency questions

I've got a Kyosho DBX running Traxxas 20% fuel, and I've got 2 tuning issues that I would really appreciate tips with. It's still a blast to drive, I'm just splitting hairs with the tuning here:

(1) Consistency across a single tank of fuel. Assuming I tune it with 50% full fuel tank, then; If I start with a 100% full fuel tank, basically the first 10% runs very rich, the middle 70% runs just where I tuned it, the bottom 20% runs like a rocket bordering on too lean, though it still smokes. Is this typical, or is there some trick to getting it to run consistently across the entire tank?

(2) Very rich mid-throttle. No matter how much fuel is in the tank, from about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it runs very rich. If I'm only wide open or idle then it runs perfect, but if I run from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for, say more than 4 or 5 seconds, then when I go back to wide open I get lots of smoke and slow acceleration (it loads up). If I go leaner with the slow speed screw then it won't idle or idle will be unstable, and the high speed is definitely as lean as I dare go. Is this just a trait of a price-point (inexpensive) car? Any ideas on correcting this?

This car is a blast for the price, I would definitely buy it again, but if I could nail the tuning then I would be estatic.