R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RUF-VK
Any tips on building the M05 Pro?

As from what I have read here there is something going on about a nut retainer of some sort for the diff...

Also since I have purchased the Pro which wheel base should I select? I am going to be running this car at SMA (Sydney) and have looked through the manual and it is very unclear and am seeing a whole lot of referral of SWB, MWB, LWB but the instructions seem VERY un clear and UNDER detailed...

Any helpful tips on the build would be great as it is my first Mini

Thanks
Actually, the instructions are very clear. The problem is that you do flip some parts over when you build the different wheel bases. You really have to pay attention.

SWB 210mm length
MWB 225mm "
LWB 239mm " I think that's what it is.
Just supplied those numbers so you'd know which bodies fit.

One little detail that is easily overlooked is to grease the front chass channels that fit over the rear chassis half. If you don't clean up the parts and grease them, you will have an extremely difficult time getting them apart to service the gear box. I would also suggest building it as MWB or LWB car as they are much easier to drive and set up, IMO.

As far as hop ups go, just read back in this thread and you'll find all the advice you'll need. I do differ with the almost universal praise for the M05 ball diff however. It does work and work well, but the "teeny" 2mm diff screw worries me cause most of us crank down on the diff screw much tighter than we would ever do in a TC. Also, what we're finding out here, is that the outdrives seem to be pretty soft and wear quickly. One of the guys went back to the tried and true TA03 ball diff.

Hope that helps and you are going to have a ball with your new Mini. They can at times be a little finicky, but well worth the trouble to sort out