R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Drillit
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Well -- It's Tuesday night, and I got some track time... Sadly, I am as confused and frustrated as ever...

The first run, the motor started out strong, then about half way into the run, began to go soft, cogging at low speeds, etc. (all the old symptoms)... I checked all the connections, etc, and everything was as it should be... Still "cogged"... I turned everything off, then powered back up, essentially resetting the ESC -- no cogging! (It would appear that once the ESC switches to "sensorless" operation, it stays that way until "rebooted"..?)

I went out for a second run, and the motor ran strong for the full run...? (Good news, but since nothing had been changed since the first run, also confusing...?)

I let the motor cool and made a third run -- the motor ran strong for the full run... (again good news, but also confusing...)

So -- I don't "trust" the motor, but it DID complete two full runs without problems... After struggling for two weeks, it's hard to go with it again, but it's also hard to "shelf" what might be a good motor...

PS: I cannot take the sensor-to-rotor spacing any lower -- to get to 1mm, I had to relocate ALL the shims from the back side of the rotor to the output side...

Any advice...?
Replace the sensor !
Been There Done That...........
There is a loose solder joint in the sensor, it gets banged, goes 'sensorless' , then resets when you 'reboot' . Period !

Mark