R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
pdelcast
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Guys,

Well, this is my first post in this thread, I'm pretty sure it won't be the last either....

Anyway, recently picked up a MMP for my TC (now the HH-UK have got em in stock), and borrowed one for the 12th (not a 1s though).

Today was my first day properly running and experimenting with the speedo. Now over here in the UK, 12th is pretty much still (certainly in the Stock/10.5 class), whilst pro-stock in TC is also 10.5.

I had run a MMP in the 12th before, however was pretty convinced that the rev range being used was set too low, as at the low rev range it was very soft. Started the day out with 40deg timing, and steadly upped the rev range to around 5000-7500, where there was much better feel. Then I added in more timing to max...and there was much better top end. I was paying attention to the motor temp the whole time, and noticed that even after 8mins it was only coming off at around 55degC (an SP v2 10.5), then thought sod it, and geared up 4teeth on the pinon
Well... thats was proper rapid! I do think I can tweak the timing ramp higher, as it was still a bit numb down low (my thought is the timing ramp is engaing too early reducing torque), so I'll play with that at the national next weekend, but so far very impressed.

Now in the TC (again 10.5t), I was a bit nervous to start with as I really had no prior idea of where to start with the speedo. So I was a bit conservative to start with, with just 30deg of timing, at 6000rpm-10,000, geared at ~6fdr. Suffice to say pretty much the same as the 12th.. in that I ended up with max timing, and the ramp a little lower at 5,8k. Did drop a pinion, as it had fully wound out by the end of the straight, and getting a little hot... but it certainly seemed comparable to other fast speedos (GM, SXX Stock, Tekin)... although behind the sticks it was deceptive as the power delivery was SOOOOO smooth Proper liked that, and the brakes were spot on too... I did purposefully keep the ramps as wide as I could, as I wanted it too be a smooth transition as possible, havnig had experince with other speedos driving a timing dump!

I did try the start ramp at 3,800 at one point... and all I can say is it felt horrible... so from today, I would say you'd want to be looking at a minimum ramp of around 4.2-4.5k

Overall very impressed with the speedo in both classes. I now just to make a decision on the motors for the new year, and it should get even quicker

12th - 4cell/10.5t
Motor - SP v2 10.5t
Cheat Mode - Enabled
Timing - 50deg
Ramp - Custom (5,000rpm - 7,500rpm) *I think this might need to go higher still on the start*
Dead band - Very Small (0.025ms)
Throttle Power - High
Drag Brake - 5%
Gearing - 53mmpr

TC - LiPo/10.5t
Motor - SP v2 10.5t
Cheat Mode - Enabled
Timing - 50deg
Ramp - Custom (5,800rpm - 9,500rpm)
Dead band - Very Small (0.025ms)
Throttle Power - High
Drag Brake - 5%
Gearing - 6.35FDR
Tyre - Sorex 28 JB Blue

HiH
Ed
Hi Ed,

It's important to remember that CHEAT timing will actually REDUCE torque at very low RPM -- that's why we give the ranges. This gives the racer the opportunity to tune his system for maximum torque throughout the performance envelope.

Patrick