R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM
rc pete
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redwood
Hi guys,

I have been running a setup which resembles very closely Keven Hebert's setup from IIC, however I have never felt like I have enough rear end grip. Whenever I try to push the car to the limit, the rear end steps out and I lose a ton of time.

I like the setup in general but would prefer to have a little more rear grip so that it is a bit easier to drive at the limit without fearing a spin, you can't drive fast if you don't know what the car will do.

Any suggestions? I have tried laying the shocks in on the rear, a longer rear upper camber link, -1.5 rear camber and varying the rear toe but the problem seems to be deep-rooted.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Neal
I've overcome the same issue, as I started with that setup in late December. I'm sure that the back end would be more planted if you were running on the amount of traction they get at the IIC, which is something you don't get at club races.
After trying a full gambit of different options, I have concluded that the culprit is the amount of droop that setup calls for. The #6 (on droop guage) in rear is around 2.5mm uptravel, which seems close, but the #5 in the front gives you more than 3mm uptravel, which is a lot.
With that setup, I found that once you lean the car over in a sweeper or as you approach the apex, the front end bites into the corner too hard.
Try 6 all around. 5 all around works if the track is green but is too much once you have some traction. Most TC5R setup sheets out there use uptravel designations instead of the droop guage, and they're in the 2mm to 3mm range.

When you're looking to control the amount of roll in the car, be sure to consider both the droop and the roll centres. Keven is running high roll centres 3-dot (more response, less roll) with more droop (less response, more roll). You can get to a similar balance with lower roll centres and running less droop. My preference has been the second option.

Hope that helps,
Pete