R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
seaball
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
FYI on RPM settings. I recently purchased a Novak Sentry and recorded rpm settings while running on-road on a 90x40 carpet track with a 13.5 With no timing advance in the ESC or motor the rpms never fell below 8000 on the slowest corner.

So setting the start and end rpm range below roughly 8000 is letting the timing engage all the time.
rpm depends on fdr, but i too averaged 8.5 mph on the low end, and 35 ish at the top (with a non-boost esc). same track size. i think a well tuned 13.5 should be up near 40mph going into a sweeper using the 'fast' esc's on this type of track.

keep in mind that at 8,000 rpm (and @ ~40amps) the motor might already be calling for timing. it might not hurt to start the ramp earlier, or use mechanical advance in the motor.

don't confuse timing with rip. if you're over timed at any stage, the rip goes down. it's all about matching the timing with the load, which yes, logically should change across the entire rpm range.

my good 13.5 setting was the 6k to 30.4k @ only 30* of timing at the end. (and fully retarded in a duo). i did find out, though, that with my gearing, i was only maybe getting the motor to 25krpm. (so really it maybe saw about 24* at the top).

Last edited by seaball; 01-29-2010 at 01:19 PM.